Scituate, Rhode Island lies in the central part of the state. The town was settled in 1710 by emigrants from Scituate, Massachusetts. Until 1731 the town was part of the city of Providence.
By 1925 the face of Scituate was changed when the Scituate Reservoir began operation. It was constructed as a result of the growing industrial demands in the Providence area. The reservoir is largest inland body of water in the state, holding 39 billion gallons of water. In addition, it covers more than five square miles, has six tributaries, and supplies more than 60% of the state's drinking water.
Each year, since 1967 the town holds the Scituate Art Festival. What began as a small operation to gather donations to rebuild the local church has now blossomed into a 300-artisan event with more than 200,000 visitors. Proceeds from the festival are distributed to a variety of good causes in the area, including the church that hosts the annual festival.
Common occupations in Scituate are management, administrative, and executive functions. Many wage earners travel between 25 and 35 minutes to work every day. About 2% of the town's workforce works from their home.
Young children in grades K-5 may attend one of the two elementary schools in the area. Children in grades 6-9 attend the Scituate Middle School. Older children in grades 9-12 attend the Scituate High School.
Scituate offers small town comfort with the conveniences of the state's capital city just minutes away.